Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Is there Joy in your classroom?

I recently had the privilege of meeting Dean Shareski at the Discovery Educator Network Summer Institute.  Our closing presentation was "The Loss of Joy."  Hearing the presentation and then watching the TedX video made me think about when I was in school.  In fourth grade, Mrs. Rath made us sing every day.  This is where I learned some of the classics: "This Land is Your Land," "You're a Grand Old Flag," "My Country Tis of Thee."  These songs are part of my childhood and I taught them to my children.  Do students sing today, other than in music class?  Do they truly enjoy learning?  What are we as educators doing to instill that love in our students?

At the end, Dean shared five guidelines that would make this world a better place.  I want to keep these as my focus for the upcoming school year.

1.  Be mindful
2.  Create something
3.  Show gratitude
4.  Turn pseudo learning into real learning
5.   Be silly and laugh every day

How will you do this?  I will start with thanking Mrs. Rath, for my love of learning and my love of teaching.  I will also thank Dean Shareski for helping me find Joy!


1 comment:

  1. Ah, thanks for the shout out. The more I talk about joy the more I find people digging back into their memory banks to recall something that's always been there but seems to often be latent.

    ReplyDelete